Friday, December 11, 2009

Background - Why build a Goat Island Skiff?

Why build a GIS, or any boat at all?

My grandfather, Jack Bradshaw (b1900, d1980) built at least two dinghies, one of which sat in our backyard as it rotted away, but they were beautiful, incredibly heavy and sturdy boats. Named the Lesley Mk1 and Mk 2, after my mother Lesley Townsend, I promised myself that I'd one day build a boat too.

Grandad was superintendent of Sunset Home for the Aged, situated on a magnificent part of the Swan River in Perth. After work, he'd get in his boat and go fishing for tailer in the Swan, or troll for pike, or net some prawns - what a life!

Mum's still going strong at 85, but I'd better get a move on if she's to break a bottle of champagne over it at launch day.

So, this GIS will be named Lesley Mk3, and it will be used for day trips on the Swan and Canning Rivers. It will be painted throughout, with white hull and blue trimmings, seats, as are the colours of East Fremantle, my local aussie rules football team.

1 comment:

  1. Mate,
    Love the history and the motivation for you to get this done. Great to hear about your Mum still kicking strong also.....give her my best. Good luck with the project....I'll follow it closely....I'm a boat man myself. The most disappointing thing however is the paint job....red and white would be much more appropriate.
    Dean

    ReplyDelete